We used to think that shaving the face was an activity just for men and that if a girl decided to do it the facial hair would grow thicker, and coarser, but that’s all lies, shaving the face is the new way to get the healthiest, and glowiest version of your skin. Still, we are not talking about using a disposable razor and doing it at your own home (your skin would regret it), we are talking about a revolutionary treatment that is being one of the most-requested: dermaplaning. If you have any doubts about it or want to know what it is, and if you are a good candidate, keep reading.
What is dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a mechanical exfoliation that implies using a surgical-grade scalpel that works as a professional razor. It shaves your face, but it doesn’t only work as a pain-free alternative for removing the peach fuzz (the short facial hair), but it also removes the dead cells, giving your skin a smooth look. The process is so gentle that it won’t disturb you at all.
It works on the surface layer of your skin, and we all know how the dead cells can build up there, causing pimples.
How is the treatment process?
Before you received the treatment, avoid using acids (salicylic acid, glycolic acid, etc.), retinoids, enzymes, or any exfoliators and avoid hair removals like waking.
The scalpel is used at a 45-degree angle to shave your fave, you are not going to feel any pain, just a little bit scratching, just like what you feel when shaving your legs, no oil or cream is used, and all the process last about 20 minutes, it is recommended to do it every 3 to 4 weeks. Once the treatment is done, you can return to your normal activities, don’t need to have specific recovery time or indications besides using sunscreen. You will notice the results immediately.
What benefits can I get from using dermaplaning?
- Reduce the breakouts: The build up of dead cells is one of the main reasons for non-inflammatory acne (whiteheads and blackheads), dermaplaning gets rid of them, so your pores don’t get clogged.
- Stimulates the collagen production: By boosting the cell turnover.
- Makeup is going to look wonderful: If you are a fan of using makeup, and you have peach fuzz you might notice how it always stands out even if you wear the highest-coverage foundation, it works wonders on removing it, which is going to make the makeup look so smooth, and flawless. This is one of the reasons why dermaplaning is so requested as a pre-event treatment.
- The products penetrate better: Build up cells can reduce the level of penetration of the skincare products you use, dermaplaning removes it, letting the products work better.
- Your skin will feel softer.
Who is a good candidate for dermaplaning?
If you have any of these conditions, you need this treatment:
- Dry skin.
- Uneven skin tone.
- Dull skin.
- Fine lines.
- Acne scars.
As every skincare treatment, in some cases, it is contraindicated. In AMI Bareskin, our goal is that you receive a personalized treatment plan with the best options that fit your skin type and concerns. These conditions aren’t compatible with dermaplaning.
- Acne: can make the lesions get worse.
- If you are currently taking Accutane, you can’t receive this treatment.
There are side effects of using dermaplanning?
Dermaplaning is well-known for being a gentle treatment, but it can cause some redness right after the treatment (which is why you have to do it at least one day before any special event). Also, you are going to feel more sensitive to sun exposure and will need to wear sunscreen. Serious side effects are rare, making this treatment a safe choice.
Dermaplaning at home?
This is a big no! You can’t use the same razor you use to shave your legs in your face and trying this treatment at home can lead to irritation, you won’t get the same glowy look that you will get in the hands of a professional. Here at AMI Bareskin, we understand how much your skin condition means to you, and we have the best staff to help you achieve the healthiest version of your skin.